Hawkworks.net top page
17. ELECTRIC STARTER
really big version
Color wiring diagram with the neutral indicator.
|Starter Relay Switch||17-1
- The starter motor and pulse generator can be removed with the engine in the frame
- To inspect the pulse generator, refer to Section 16.
- Refer to section 8 for starter clutch removal and installation.
Unit: mm (in)
|Starter motor brush length||12.5 (0.49)||6.5 (0.26)
- The starter motor should turn when the transmission is in neutral and the clutch is disengaged.
- Check for the following before troubleshooting the system:
- Blown main (30A) or sub (10A) fuse
- Loose battery and starter motor cables
- Discharged battery.
Remove the starter relay switch.
Connect an ohmmeter to the switch large terminals.
Connect a fully charged 12 V batter positive wire to the starter
relay switch Yellow/Red wire terminal, and the battery negative
wire to the Green/Red wire terminal.
There should be continuity while th battery is connected to
the terminals, and no continuity when the battery is disconnected.
Remove the rear cowling (page 13-25).
Remove the clutch diode from the wire harness.
Check for continuity with an ohmmeter.
Connect the positive probe to the (+) terminal and the negative
probe to the (-) terminal of the diode.
There should be continuity, then reverse the probes, there
should be no continuity.
- The test restults shown avove are for a positve ground ohmmeter
and the opposite resultes will be obtained when a negative ground ohmmeter is used.